26 Nov Know the Best Stone for Your Engagement Ring
Buying an engagement ring is a big step emotionally as well as financially. How can you possibly know what to pick with the tons of options you have? Since this is an item worth so much money and emotion, it’s definitely worth a little research before you buy.
Here are the top 5 things you need to know.
- The C’s– You might have heard of the 4 C’s before, and these are important things to know before you buy a diamond ring. Simply put, the 4 C’s stand for cut, carat, color, and clarity. “Cut” does not mean the shape of the diamond, it means how shallow or deep the bottom was cut. If it was not cut with precision, it will not catch the light the right way so it won’t sparkle as much. “Carat” is the weight or overall size of the diamond. “Color” refers to how colorless the diamond is. A perfect diamond is colorless, and it ranges to a very yellow diamond. “Clarity” means how clear the diamond is. It ranges from perfect clarity to little spots or “inclusions” in the diamond.
- Her Style– It’s important to know what her style is so that you can get something that she will be happy with wearing for the rest of her life. It is common nowadays to have both parties present during ring shopping, but if you’re going for the old-fashioned surprise, you’ll need to do a little digging. Notice if she tends to wear more silver, gold, simple or ornate jewelry.
- Jewelers– Since you’ll be trusting the experts wherever you shop, it’s important to find a good, honest jeweler. Shop around a little and compare pricing and experiences at the various stores. Red flags could be the staff pressuring you, not listening to what you wanted, or showing you rings over your budget. Believe it or not, there are jewelers who will get you a beautiful ring in your price range, and give honest advice.
- Certification– Whether the ring is $30,000 or $1,000, you deserve to know that what you have is a certified diamond. Make sure that your ring and all the diamonds in it (especially the center stone) is a certified diamond and you’re not being duped. This will also help with resale value if you desire to do that in the future.
- Your Budget– It is imperative that you know your budget before you walk into a jewelry store, so that you don’t fall in love with something you can’t afford. Think about what your top amount is before you go shopping, because an impulse buy of this magnitude will fill you with regret later.
No matter what style you choose, using these great tips will definitely have you on the right track to the perfect, affordable ring.